I’m a recipe hoarder. I subscribe to a bunch of cooking magazines and cut out recipes pretty liberally. Because I have so many recipes saved, a recipe has to really rock my socks if I’m going to make it again. It can’t just be good, it has to be good.
The first time I made this Fresh Corn, Poblano, and Cheddar Pizza recipe from Cooking Light, we loved it so much that we made it again the next week. And now, 7 years later, it’s become a summer tradition of ours. As soon as I start seeing fresh corn at the farmers market or grocery store, I make this pizza. And then I’ll make it every few weeks for as long as corn is in season. LIke I said, it’s rare that I make the same recipe more than once, but this pizza is one that we never get tired of. In fact, I’m pretty confident that if you try it, it will be your new summer tradition too.
Fresh Corn, Poblano, and Cheddar Pizza
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6
- 1 large poblano chile
- olive oil mister or cooking spray
- 2 cup fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (13.8 oz) can refrigerated pizza crust dough
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp fat-free sour cream (optional)
- Preheat broiler.
- Place poblano chile on a foil-lined baking sheet; broil 10 minutes or until blackened and charred, turning halfway through cooking time.
- Lower oven temperature to 425°F.
- Place pepper in a zip-top bag and seal; let stand 10 minutes. Carefully remove skin, seeds, and stem, then chop pepper.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with oil or cooking spray. Add corn, green onions, garlic, and zucchini; sauté 2 minutes or until just beginning to brown. Stir in milk; cook over medium heat 3–4 minutes or until liquid has almost evaporated. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites, egg, salt, and pepper. Stir in poblano pepper, corn mixture, and cheese.
- Unroll pizza dough onto parchment paper. It should form a 13 x 8 inch rectangle; if it doesn’t, use your hands to shape it into one. Spread corn mixture over dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold edge of dough over corn mixture. Bake for 12–15 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with sour cream (if using).
- Serving Size: 1 slice of pizza
This post was originally published on 27 July 2011.